English Language Course – Cape Town
English proficiency has always been a very sought-after skill, and remains the same today. Many schools, universities and companies, all over the world, require all applicants to have a certain level of English proficiency and this has led to a huge increase in the worldwide number of English Academies and Learning Centers.
Our Language School is located in Rosebank, a leafy suburb at the foot of Table Mountain, and one of the main student hubs of Cape Town city. The school offers English learning courses to students of all levels, from people who cannot speak the language at all, to people who are already fairly fluent, but need to improve in order to attain an academic enrolment or a specific employment role. Our experienced teachers use their different teaching styles to get the best out of their students, all while having loads of fun with creative exercises and activities.
On Day 1, all new students are given a 30min exam (written and/or oral) to assess their level of English proficiency – they are then placed in a classroom/grade accordingly, where they will remain for the duration of the course. This ensures that the group in each class, have similar English ability which makes for a much more comfortable learning experience.
Our school prides itself in having a small number of students in each class – we have a maximum of 10 students in a class at any given time. This allows each student the opportunity to get the individual attention that is often overlooked at bigger schools. Our class groups also remain together for the entire duration of the course – we have found that this makes students a lot more comfortable and confident during the learning process.
Your Typical Day:
Our primary English course runs over a 2-week period, with 20 hours of learning per week. Classes run from 09:00 – 13:00 (Monday to Friday) – four 50min classes per day with a 30mins break in the middle. Extra afternoon classes are available at an additional cost.
All our English Language students are accommodated at our Volunteer House in Observatory, Cape Town – approx. 20min walking distance to/from the school. Please find more information on our house on the OUR VOLUNTEER HOUSE page.
*Host family accommodation is available upon request.
- Placement in a suitable English school and accommodation
- Placement inventory information prior to arrival in South Africa
- Transfer from the airport to the StayAfrica Volunteer house
- Transfer to StayAfrica office for Orientation
- Orientation Programme, including Welcome Session and Orientation Session
- Meals and accommodation at volunteer House (breakfast and dinner, Mon-Fri)
- Assistance with Bookings for tours and activities
- 24-hour support whilst in Cape Town
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flights and Insurance
- Meals during Orientation days
- Lunch during the week and Meals over weekends for volunteers placed at the Volunteer House
- Evening activities
- Transport to and from the City and to and from projects
- Airport shuttle back to the airport after completion of Programme
- Additional cost for special dietary requirements
- Visa (if applicable)
“WHAT WE LEARN WITH PLEASURE, WE NEVER FORGET!” – Alfred Mercier