Volunteering in the Childcare sector involves working with children between the ages of 0-6yrs, in various crèches, day-care centres and kindergartens in Cape Town city and its surrounding local communities.
For many lower-income families in Cape Town, affordable public day-care and Edu-care facilities are very hard to find, and are also often fully-booked to capacity, leaving many young children without proper care during the day, while their parents work. In an attempt to minimise the effects of this problem, many private individuals have started operating childcare centres, either out of their homes or other rented spaces.
With minimal monthly fees being charged to parents, and little help from the government, funding is always a problem and these facilities are often under-staffed and operate with extremely limited resources (food, books, stationery, educational toys, etc.)! The care of children, of this age group, also requires a lot of individual attention and it is for this reason that volunteer help is truly valued and appreciated.
- Assist main teacher with daily duties and lessons
- Assist with food preparation and feeding
- Creativity is key – songs, educational games, painting, drawing, etc.
- Cleaning and/or Admin duties
- Supervision during free playtime and nap times
- Assist with coordinating annual events
Volunteers will generally work from 08:00 – 13:00.
Working with children of this age requires a high level of energy, participation, enthusiasm, as well as a lot of patience. While this can be really hard work, the children’s loving nature and cute faces will have you coming back for more every day!
- Placement in a suitable project and accommodation
- Placement inventory information prior to arrival in South Africa
- Transfer from the airport to the StayAfrica Volunteer house
- Dormitory accommodation for 1 night during Orientation
- Transfer to StayAfrica office for Orientation
- Orientation Programme, including Welcome Session and Orientation Session
- Meals and accommodation at volunteer House (breakfast and dinner, Mon-Fri)
- Assistance with Bookings for tours and activities
- 24-hour support whilst in Cape Town
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flights and Insurance
- Meals during Orientation days
- Lunch during the week and Meals over weekends for volunteers placed at the Volunteer House
- Evening activities
- Transport to and from the City and to and from projects
- Airport shuttle back to the airport after completion of Programme
- Additional cost for special dietary requirements
- Visa (if applicable)
“Only a life lived for others is worth living!” – Albert Einstein