PRIMARY SCHOOL SPORTS:
The Stay Africa! Primary School Sports program runs in conjunction with the Teaching / Education program. While the main focus of every school is academic, recent studies have consistently shown that sport activities are almost equally as important. Children need to be active in order to enhance their growth, learning and overall health.
Private schools in Cape Town have all invested a lot of time, money and resources in running high-quality Physical Education and sports programmes – balancing this with a good academic program has produced top students on an annual basis. Public/Government schools, however, have very limited resources and funding, and even though they realize the importance of sport, they have had to invest almost everything into the academic side of things. In most cases, there simply is no budget for physical education teachers, sports coaches or the relevant equipment.
Sport volunteers are therefore much-needed and much-appreciated by these schools – some schools actually stop running their physical education classes when volunteers are not available.
- Plan, organize and run physical education classes
- Assist sports coaches (if applicable)
- Assist with extra-mural sports outside of school hours
- Assist with fundraising functions and school sports events
- May need to assist in classroom when needed
Volunteers work according to the assigned school hours, approximately from 08:00 – 14:30. You might be required to occasionally assist with sports events, classes and functions outside of these hours.
South African school students absolutely love sport, especially soccer! Physical Education lessons and exercise sessions will always somehow turn into a friendly game of soccer… Good planning skills and creativity are a must for sports volunteers – with school resources at a minimum, you will have to create fun lessons using very little.
*Please Note: This program is not available during the annual South African school holidays.
- Placement in a suitable project and accommodation
- Placement inventory information prior to arrival in South Africa
- Transfer from the airport to the StayAfrica Volunteer house
- Dormitory accommodation for 1 night during Orientation
- Transfer to StayAfrica office for Orientation
- Orientation Programme, including Welcome Session and Orientation Session
- Meals and accommodation at volunteer House (breakfast and dinner, Mon-Fri)
- Assistance with Bookings for tours and activities
- 24-hour support whilst in Cape Town
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED?
- Flights and Insurance
- Meals during Orientation days
- Lunch during the week and Meals over weekends for volunteers placed at the Volunteer House
- Evening activities
- Transport to and from the City and to and from projects
- Airport shuttle back to the airport after completion of Programme
- Additional cost for special dietary requirements
- Visa (if applicable)
“One of the greatest gifts you can give… is your time!” – Unknown.